WELCOME

Water can be clear or murky, powerful as the ocean, or powerfully subtle as the formation of caverns. Water creates life, yet can be destructive. It covers our earth. It fills our bodies. Water evokes mystery, and moodiness. Unpredictable as water is, it is useful, and it cleans things up.



That pretty much describes what I want to say and how I want my posts to be.



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THE IMAGE OF...

I've been having a discussion with some folks, about Images, and Symbols for the Divine in an online spiritual discussion forum. Most everyone there is respectful of others different faiths. We are there to share not debate. A woman was talking about a copy of painting she had of Jesus in her office, and how his eyes looked sad. Well that started something.
     And well,.. this is my blog so here I do not have to be so respectful. this is my place to really let off steam when I want to.
   Some pompous condescending bag of wind posted a picture of George harrison next to her painting and pointed out to all of us ignorant dummies that it looked like Jesus too, and we really do not know what Jesus looked like, as there are no references ever made to refer to him. all we have is some silly artists imagination... and the ten commandments says not to worship graven images. And that he only honors his Inner God, without any images needed, infact no one should ever have any image of God or any person said to be Divine as we will just become polythiests worshiping golden calves as such. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA.
 Well as this man is obviously so spiritually superior to all of us, im surprised he's not floating around somewhere. The debate bantered back and forth.
  I cannot keep my mouth shut, especially when someone else is being attacked unjustly.  I pointed out that early artists did have a description of Jesus in apocraphal writings and they also used the image of the shroud of turin as a basis for their portraits, as both were very similar. and that is where we get the common image used for Jesus throughout art history. But the point is not that it's an accurate likeness but that many use the image for a symbol. And many while not worshiping  these symbols still use them as a vehicle. Others made the point of how they thought images and symbols are useful to them.

 Get this answer of his..."I guess it's difficult for you people to let go of fairy tales, fake shrouds, pointless writings the Church wont even recognize. Still so many can't recognize the God within and need the Man made images of OZ and wont realize, it's a man behind the curtain, just a man playing God." no lie this is the shit he spewed. What a colossal arrogant fucker.
  If I stay in this group I will no doubt run across this kind of donkey again. Though it asks people to be respectful, there are always THOSE, who have to show their ass where faith is concerned. You know the type who know everything about God, and hense their cup is full and finished and they have no need, no room to learn anything more..I learned this working for the Church years ago. So should I quit the group, as people like this disturb my serenity? Or should I not let them have power over me? I either will have to come vent here or learn to let it go, I'm not to good at letting it go, especially when he was jumping all over some dear lady who was just trying to make a point about a painting she found beautiful and inspirational.
  Now that I have vented. I do feel sorry for those who cannot see the wonder in sacred art and symbol, and how symbol, image, mythology and allegory tell so much more than words alone can say. Heck all the major religions of the world have used this. So throughout this article and now here at the end i have included some beautiful Sacred (un-graven) Images from all the stupid unenlightened people of this earth.
Blessings, M. Pierre

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I had the same thoughts. I dont think you should quit that forum. we are there to share thoughts and inspiration. there are ass holes in every walk of life. personally I was thinking the same thing and realized this is a chance for me to grow. thanks for the lovely pictures too. some times I think if I could speak more intelectually or use bigger words and not spell like a third grader my words might carry farther. then again this is me. thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i spell like a third grader as well, but sometimes i spell check with the dictionary open in another window. for my blog i often type first in WORD then spell correct through the program before i copy paste. esp for stories like Chin...though in that case there's alot of french and cajun accent i just have to do my best with. i wont quit the forum i find it for the most part nourishing to my soul..i just cant stop myself for things like his insulting bahavior to our lovely host there. and i couldn't believe he was there being so ugly....did he miss the point of the group. you have more patience than i with that sort of behaviour. so i vented here to get it off my chest. because that was not the place to really say what i felt about him. on another note im really off on a tangent of thinking of religious /sacred art and stuff. i want to write more on this later in a positive post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing spiritual about assholes like that; just arrogance and self-worship. Jesus had the same experience with the Pharisees, if you remember.

    ReplyDelete